Juan Peirano – MSc Public Policy

Juan Peirano graduated from the University of Bristol with a master’s in public policy in 2014, having first obtained an undergraduate degree from his home country in Uruguay. Here he talks about how he has fused these two professions together to offer a unique contribution to global policy and practice, which he spoke about at our recent anniversary event.

My current role

As the Director of Technical Policy at The Internet Society, my primary focus is on shaping and advocating for, policies that promote sustainable Internet infrastructure and access for everyone around the world. I lead and collaborate with diverse teams across the globe, contributing to projects aimed at expanding technological connectivity in the hardest places to connect, making it more affordable and resilient to have meaningful human impact.

Juan Peirano

Juan Peirano

My role calls for me to defend some of the critical properties of the Internet, such as openness, permissionless innovation, security, and trustworthiness, in global forums such as the United Nations (in particular, the Internet Governance Forum). This is important, because it is where we can uphold the multi-stakeholder nature of the Internet, in which all actors, including technical communities, academia, civil society, and governments are welcome to shape how the Internet is built and governed.

How did the MSc in Public Policy at Bristol set you up for your role at The Internet Society?

The MSc was instrumental in preparing me for my current role. As a graduate in Telecommunications Engineering and an active participant in the global Internet community, I knew a few things about technology, but not a lot about policy. The comprehensive curriculum, which included courses like Governance, Institutions, and the Global Political Economy, and Public Policy for a Complex and Uncertain World, equipped me with an understanding of policy-making processes and the complexities of the global political landscape. I was able to translate a lot of what I have learned into practical frameworks. Once out of the course, I was focused on finding a position that merged technology and public policy. I found that great mix in my position at the Internet Society, where I started as a Policy Advisor. The MSc gave me a rich professional profile, which is highly valued by technically related organisations, facing public policy challenges. 

Do you have any advice for people wishing to get into this sector? 

I have been fortunate throughout my career to have great colleagues, managers and mentors that have helped me along the way. I strongly believe in the “pay-it-forward” ethos as a professional (and in life in general) and now help support students in their professional journey as a mentor under the Professional Liaison Network (PLN) at Bristol. This, in turn, has enabled me to keep abreast of the latest developments and encourage the next generation of Public Policy students who are passionate about public policy and technology. 

I hope some of the tips below serve as useful advice: 

• Use the opportunities that the University offer you as a student, and as an alumnus. Seek mentors who can provide guidance and support your professional growth.  
  • Find a tech policy topic that excites you! It does not have to be the ultimate topic for your career, but just something that makes you want to delve deeper and learn more from it.
  • Develop strong communications skills. Policy is all about making a compelling case. Get your facts and data, but make sure you have a compelling narrative. And be relentless with it! 

For further information, follow Juan on his personal blog.