Suyoung Hwang: MSc Public Policy

International student Suyoung Hwang tells us about her time in Bristol studying the MSc in Public Policy.

What led you to this degree at Bristol? How did you hear about it?

After working in the journalism industry for seven years in South Korea, I wanted to change my career path to the public sector. I was looking for a postgraduate programme in Public Policy in the international environment to broaden my perspective while strengthening my academic understanding of the new field. I first learnt about the Public Policy programme at Bristol through my networks. I also used other sources, such as The Guardian’s university ranking and league tables, to find more information on the course.

What was your experience as an international student in Bristol?

Studying at Bristol as an international student was a fantastic experience. First, I received great academic support from faculty members, such as my dissertation supervisor Dr Caryn Peiffer, and Professor Patricia Kennett, which eventually led me to doing a PhD in Public Policy. Completing a postgraduate programme in one year can be overwhelming for many students, including myself. Despite difficulties, my supervisor guided me in the right direction when I was lost and helped me find new angles to develop my dissertation.

Second, living in a culturally vibrant city made my life much happier. The city has loads of nice bars and restaurants, and Bristol is known for its quality music scene. One of my coursemates was in the band, and enjoying his gigs with my classmates was one of the best memories during my time in Bristol.

What is you one key takeout from the programme; the one piece of advice or experience you will remember?

I would say diversity in the cohort is the key takeout from the course. While I was studying at Bristol, we had students from more than 20 different countries, which enabled me learn and understand different cultures and perspectives. Many of them already had work experience in the public sector and shared their experiences during the interactive seminars. We also organised study groups to discuss theoretical frameworks taught during the courses and social gatherings outside the campus. It was a valuable experience to learn that studying is not a competition but helping each other grow intellectually.

How did your research influence your career path? Have you continued the same themes in your PhD?

After completing my master’s degree, I joined an e-governance project at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Indonesia for two years as Marketing and Communication Officer. Since my master’s dissertation focused on governance and anti-corruption measures, working for an intergovernmental organisation provided me the opportunity to see how governments strengthen transparency and citizen participation in the real world. After two-year work experience in Indonesia, I joined the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) in South Korea as Senior Communications Associate. This work experience also allowed me to raise another research question of how governments and public organisations communicate with citizens to achieve specific objectives. In August 2022, I started a PhD programme in Public and International Affairs at City University of Hong Kong. Now my research interests have been expanded, which include governance, government communication with citizens, and public trust.

Do you have any advice for people thinking of applying for a postgraduate degree in general?

Whether you are a fresh graduate or a professional with several years of work experience, doing a postgraduate degree will open a new door for you. Just go for it!