Yu Wang (China): Internship at the UN in Geneva

It was whilst studying on the MSc Public Policy that I applied for the full-time internship in the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).

We had just finished the first term of lectures, studying: international organizations, international development, global governance in the new era.

These topics had always interested me and I was seeking to apply all the knowledge that I was learning on the MSc Public Policy.

Six months is the maximum length for a UN Internship, but it was long enough for me to experience the UN and what it’s like to be an international civil servant. I worked in the office of the Secretary General, and and also in the Communication, Information, Outreach Unit.

I took on the role of an administrative assistant, compiling reports, providing recommendations, running errands, attending meetings, taking meeting notes, updating database, copy-editing reports, as well as provided specialist meeting preparation assistance.

I was also in charge of five break-out sessions for the UNCTAD Public Symposium and also ran their social media.

Yu Wang

Yu Wang

As interns, we were permitted to attend many of the conferences, meetings and other open forums that occued at the UN headquarters.

I have seen so many great talents from all around the world speaking in different meetings, and it was amazing to think the final agreements made in these meetings might really change the world.

I was once lucky to get the opportunity to attend the human rights council’s emergency session on the situation in Gaza.

In the meeting, after a vote of 29 countries in favour, with 17 abstentions and a sole negative vote by the United States, in which it strongly condemned the failure of Israel to end its prolonged occupation of the area, the UNHCR decided to launch an independent inquiry into purported violations of international humanitarian and human rights laws in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem.

My MSc in Public Policy helped me secure this internship and has increased my awareness of global issues, learn skills and adapt quickly to different cultures. I am so proud of being an alumni of the University of Bristol’s MPP programme.