Marwa Louati: MSc Public Policy

In her professional life, Marwa Louati already had several accolades to her name. During her time at Bristol, she added to these further as a Chevening Scholar who graduated with Distinction from the MSc Public Policy.

Marwa also received the Best International Student Prize for the highest academic achievement among international students in her cohort. In this blog, she describes her experiences on the programme and of the University of Bristol. 

What led you to this degree at Bristol?

As a civil society activist, researcher, and international development professional, I have always been passionate about policy and democratic governance issues. 

Before coming to Bristol, I had gained over nine years’ experience in Tunisia and neighbouring regions (Africa, MENA, Europe) working directly with civil society, politicians, academic researchers, and elected officials.

During this time, I was also elected president of a national youth association and soon after, decided to merge my activism with my academic endeavours. I realised that I needed to develop my technical and academic capacities to make the most impact out of my efforts.   

Marwa Louati with award

Marwa Louati

I was accepted on to the Chevening Scholarship to study MSc Public Policy at the University of Bristol, which I chose after diligent research. I loved the various components of the syllabus and the vast experience of the teachers. What stood out for me was the variety of modules, and optional units, offered across the programme.   

I was also encouraged by a friend who had studied on the public policy programme and highly recommended it for me. I could see that Bristol is a charming and vibrant city to live in.

What is your one key takeout from the programme?

Public Policy is characterised by its interdisciplinarity. The programme offered me the flexibility to pick and choose topics and units that were of interest to me and to focus on the areas I want to explore further. I had ample access to guidance from my teachers in the process, which made studying a fulfilling process. I learnt how to independently manage my learning goals and how to pick the right resources to shape my understanding of the world. The units are so rich that you will leave equipped with the skills and competences needed for a lifetime of research.  

What was your experience as an international scholar in Bristol?

I had a life-changing experience as an international scholar in Bristol, both personally, academically, and professionally.   

I had the chance to learn and delve deeper into my academic interests and I benefitted from the high level of support made available by the staff. The University has a diverse range of facilities such libraries, study centres, student hubs, and digital platforms that allowed me to perform well in a creative environment.   

I was able to seamlessly adapt to the new educational system in the UK, and life in Bristol, as I felt taken care of; home away from home. My experience was simply fascinating. 

How did your research influence your career path?

Being an international scholar at the University of Bristol introduced me to many opportunities. I had the chance to continue contributing to youth development and better analyse social policy issues in collaboration with organizations such as OECD and the Council of Europe, as a speaker, and a professional, while serving my country to the best of my ability. I feel that the programme helped me gain a rich exposure to cutting-edge research which boosted my self-confidence, building the foundation for my ambitious career goals.  

Do you have any advice for people thinking of applying for a postgraduate degree in general?

The work experience I had gained in the field of public policy, prior to starting my studies, was highly beneficial as it gave me a solid grounding for my academic endeavours. My key piece of advice would be for people to invest some time doing relevant extra-curricular activities or gain professional experience to enrich their postgraduate programme. 

Marwa recently addressed the 8th MED2022 conference in Rome on youth policies in Tunisia and the MENA region, as part of The Mediterranean Needs YOUth panel. Watch the discussion here.