Rayne Roberts: MSc Nutrition, Physical Activity and Public Health

We spoke with MSc Nutrition, Physical Activity and Public Health alum, Rayne Roberts about balancing postgraduate study with family life.

What led you to this degree at Bristol? 

I’d been toying with the idea of applying for an MSc in a nutrition related area for some time. I work as a nutritional therapist and the pandemic meant that I was unable to meet my clients face to face – so it seemed like the ideal time to take a career break and return to education. After lots of research it was the University’s course combination of nutrition, physical activity and public health that I thought would be most useful to my career going forward. When I also considered the university’s great reputation, it seemed that the NPAPH MSc looked to be a good investment.

Any advice for people thinking of applying for a postgraduate degree in general? 

I worried about juggling a family, working part-time whilst studying, and whether my “mature student” brain would hold up! It was incredibly hard at times, the assignments come thick and fast, and I often doubted my academic ability. But if you rigorously allocate time to read enough around the subject and to prepare, plan and execute your MSc work, it comes together.

I was also lucky to have a supportive family:  their endless cups of tea and sage words carried me through some sticky moments.

Rayne Roberts

Rayne Roberts

This programme was genuinely one of the best things I have ever done; the only person standing in my way was me, so it feels wonderful to have completed it with a Distinction! 

What has been your one key takeout from the programme? 

If you want to understand “research” then this is the programme for you. I now have the confidence to read a research paper and effectively interpret the findings myself. The quality of the lecturers is such that you will finish this MSc with a full understanding of what good research should look like and be able to spot limitations and how they may affect outcomes.

Additionally, the way I assess evidence and then communicate it to others is more objective and succinct.

Read more about Rayne’s work at 360 Fit Food.